300 Norma Mag

I didn't look back through, what kind of speeds were you seeing with 565?
My buddy I know he runs 88 grains of n570 245 bergers he's right at 3000 feet with his improved. 30 inch barrel if I remember correctly. I never ended up doing a full load development I had some issues and needed to save barrel life I ended up 79 grains n565 245 berger 2867 avg. It just hammers and stays in tune so I didn't mess with it before the nightforce. I need to redo the load but already have close to 700 rds on it so prolly not worth it.

Reactions: Balor
From Berger, use at your own risk!
1000012071.png

220 LRHTs
I have the components. Looking for others that have ran this combo. Thanks.

From Berger, use at your own risk!
View attachment 8485258
Just looking at the ADI manufactured powders, but seems to be across the board, Hogdgon loads only seem to to go to around 60,000psi, but even if you extrapolate to ~64,000psi the Berger numbers seem to be a decent chunk beyond that so I'd definitely want to start at the bottom of those.

Reactions: Tacticalrum
Just looking at the ADI manufactured powders, but seems to be across the board, Hogdgon loads only seem to to go to around 60,000psi, but even if you extrapolate to ~64,000psi the Berger numbers seem to be a decent chunk beyond that so I'd definitely want to start at the bottom of those.

The Berger data is known to blow primers even at the starting load

I can tell you this much. I ran Lapua brass, Federal 215M and 245 Bergers with 87.0 grs of N570 and never had any pressure issues. The starting load of 83.5 with the 220 and N570 seems useable. Can't speak for other powders or combinations.

The Berger stuff seems pretty hot.

I currently use 83.0 grains of N570 with 220 LRHTs, and that's fast enough for me. That pushes them about 2920 fps out of my 28" barrel.

I think people tend to push the .300NM pretty hard, well into pressure. Some of the velocities and powder charges I see posted make me cringe.

If you really want to see people flirting with pressure, check out the long range hunting forum. I think people are pushing 230's above 3150 fps over there 😳

Reactions: Balor and Schw15

I currently use 83.0 grains of N570 with 220 LRHTs, and that's fast enough for me. That pushes them about 2920 fps out of my 28" barrel.

I think people tend to push the .300NM pretty hard, well into pressure. Some of the velocities and powder charges I see posted make me cringe.

If you really want to see people flirting with pressure, check out the long range hunting forum. I think people are pushing 230's above 3150 fps over there 😳
100% agree. I think the lapua cases hold and hide pressure and people go crazy!! I see some pretty crazy things with other cases too

Reactions: Balor and kthomas

That's definitely a cupcake load if you're talking 300 NMI, I too ran 245 eols with 87 grains N570 without the slightest pressure signs, I tested that load in a single lapua case over and over again and it's at 21 reloads now and primers are tight as new.

That said I've settled on 81 grains H1000 with the 245s going 2820 and a ridiculous ES of 5! I took that load out to 1585 a few weeks ago and was 3 for 4 on a 15" target.
Chasing max speed is a waste of time.

That's definitely a cupcake load if you're talking 300 NMI, I too ran 245 eols with 87 grains N570 without the slightest pressure signs, I tested that load in a single lapua case over and over again and it's at 21 reloads now and primers are tight as new.

That said I've settled on 81 grains H1000 with the 245s going 2820 and a ridiculous ES of 5! I took that load out to 1585 a few weeks ago and was 3 for 4 on a 15" target.
Chasing max speed is a waste of time.

Oh yeah, my load is definitely a "cupcake load" - its nowhere near pressure. You can definitely push a 220 much faster than I currently am and still be okay pressure wise. Mines not an NMI btw.

I agree on the last statement. People love to chase max speed - especially in these fast magnums used for ELR type work where speed is everything.

Last edited: