• Fast is Fine, Accuracy is Final

New tee just dropped. Shop now!

Grab yours
I always shot Lapua/SK, FGM UM, and RWS R50 and Special Match. Never played with Eley until recently but the test lot brick I got of Eley Match shot lights out so I grabbed 2 cases of the 2 best shooting lots..

I have a Eley Tenex test lot brick arriving today. We will see how that does...
I would really like to see how the Tenex shoots, pics please.

Reactions: padom
Recent Eley Match lot test on separate days to confirm consistency. 5 shot groups unless otherwise noted.

~1000 rds on barrel prior to test, 26" ACE (VCC contour) / Eachus (much thanks to Mike Manzella). MPA Matrix with Triggertech Diamond and missing cheek rest (oops). Bushnell MPED 5-30.

I'd probably shoot any of these lots in NRL22 with preference to the first and last.

I'd like thank all the degenerates here for dragging me down this rabbit hole; this rifle is all ya'lls fault.

{ chrono summary for 2nd day testing; consistent with 1st day }
View attachment 8506337

View attachment 8506338

View attachment 8506340
Very impressive. How many rounds did you get through the barrel before you started seeing groups under .5"? Did you have to season the barrel for the eley match or did it hammer like this immediately?

Here's the first target I shot with it, small sample size but seemed to like this lot of Midas+ (3rd row)

first_shots.png

WRT the Eley test, it was shot from a clean barrel / no seasoning or prep.

Looking at the first groups down my 22" ACE 1.2" straight it was hammering groups in the 0.1's to 0.2's with different lots of CX, Midas+, R50, RWS Special Match and SK+......

I have a 20" ACE 1.2" about to ship from Manzella along with a 1.2" Krieger and 1.2" Green Mountain.
Mike spun me up a 22" M24 with an Ace blank and so far I've been having a difficult time getting it settled in. This is my first precision 22 so I'm definitely new to the lot sorting and ammo testing world. Its also possible that I'm overlooking something else with my build.

Everything torqued to manufacturer spec using torque screwdriver/ torque wrench for barrel. Headspace checked with provided no go gauge.

RimX
Aero solus chassis
Razor iii 6-36 sitting in a leupold one piece mount.
Ace blank 22" finished, threaded 1/2-28 for dead air mask (I tried grouping with/without the mask, and with/without the blended thread protector).
TT diamond
Atlas CAL
heavy rear bag

So far Ive tried 14 types of ammo with four or more 5 shot groups using each type. Tenex, Centerx, Midas plus, eley black box match, both types of cci green tag, eley pistol bullseye, norma match, wolf match extra, etc with none of them able to reliably produce anything under .45". Most of the higher end stuff shot around .5". I haven't found any flavor that reliably shoots under .4". The best group I shot to date was actually cheap cci minimag varmints at .24". I'm mostly writing that one off as luck. First 2 outings were clear days with almost zero wind.

After the first 500 rounds of misc stuff down the pipe I cleaned it, and went back out with the highest performing stuff. I shot more groups with the eley black and norma match, this time 10 shot groups. It was windier this time than the previous 2 outings so I wasn't surprised to see the groups open up even more.

Just as a point of comparison, I took my 10/22 out on the same windy day. I used the R3 on the 10/22 so optics were equal. Its a lightweight hunting build with a volquartsen carbon fiber barrel, cheap bipod, and factory ruger trigger (like 5lbs). the first 10 shot group with the 10/22 with the first ammo I grabbed (norma match) shot a group identical to the two 10 shot groups from the rimx.

I'm not really sure what to do next other than shooting more. It seems like everyone with a manzella barrel shoots lights out immediately with it, so I'm left scratching my head. Is 1 MOA at 50 really what I should expect even with top dollar ammo? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

So many variables it's so hard for me to tell you what the problem is over the internet. Is it your bench, is it your ammo, is it your chassis, trigger, barrel, you. Idk

If you get to a point where you want to know I'd the barrel is the issue feel free to send it to me and I'd be glad to screw it on my RimX and test it and let you know my results. Then you can talk to Mike if it's a barrel issue.

So many variables it's so hard for me to tell you what the problem is over the internet. Is it your bench, is it your ammo, is it your chassis, trigger, barrel, you. Idk

If you get to a point where you want to know I'd the barrel is the issue feel free to send it to me and I'd be glad to screw it on my RimX and test it and let you know my results. Then you can talk to Mike if it's a barrel issue.
Thank you for the offer. I think for now I'm going to keep shooting it and see if I can find an ammo it likes more than what I've tested. If I can't figure it out I might have to take you up on it. It would at least give me the peace of mind that its NOT a barrel problem. I know Mike does excellent work and stands behind every barrel he cuts, but I don't want to go down that path unless I know 100% its a barrel issue.

Thank you for the offer. I think for now I'm going to keep shooting it and see if I can find an ammo it likes more than what I've tested. If I can't figure it out I might have to take you up on it. It would at least give me the peace of mind that its NOT a barrel problem. I know Mike does excellent work and stands behind every barrel he cuts, but I don't want to go down that path unless I know 100% its a barrel issue.

No problem. Id be more than glad to test it if you want.

I just want to say. Walking out and shooting groups in the 0.1s and 0.2s is not as easy as it sounds. Especially if it's not something you've done before.

Make sure you have a stable concrete bench or you may be better off shooting prone.. make sure you aren't jerking the trigger. I run a very light Bix N Andy..

Then test multiple lots of quality ammo. CenterX, Midas, R50, SK RM, SK+....

No problem. Id be more than glad to test it if you want.

I just want to say. Walking out and shooting groups in the 0.1s and 0.2s is not as easy as it sounds. Especially if it's not something you've done before.

Make sure you have a stable concrete bench or you may be better off shooting prone.. make sure you aren't jerking the trigger. I run a very light Bix N Andy..

Then test multiple lots of quality ammo. CenterX, Midas, R50, SK RM, SK+....
^^^This is ESPECIALLY true with rim fire!

Reactions: padom